8.18.2009

dark day







I write this with such a heavy heart. Today is Gloria's last day with us. We went to the U again yesterday, and she had another ultrasound and they took a bunch of cell samples from her organs. She has massive masses all over. Looks like she has something called hyper eosinophilic syndrome. It is basically just like a cancer, but not a cancer, so treatment is not really an option. It's very rare, unknown what causes it, and is a rapid progression of a bunch of abnormal cells attacking her organs. They gave us some painkillers and sent us home, to allow her to spend her time in more comfort with us. She is not a happy kitty, basically terrified if I try to give her any meds (which she has no more tolerance for and just spits, claws me, etc.) and is just hiding under our bed. Last night she made two awful messes just outside of the litterbox on the floor. My arms, chest, and hands are covered in scratches.
Needless to say, I am a total mess--drank close to a whole bottle of wine by myself last night (I was not alone, Blake was just drinking beer) and will probably do the same tonight. I just called the Kitty Klinic to schedule the appointment, and am waiting for them to call me back. Blake and I will go in together, and my mom will watch the girls. After that, I want to take her up to my parent's house and lay her to rest with Sophie and all of the other pets who have passed.
I keep going up to visit her, but she doesn't really want any attention.
I'm just so sad right now... mostly that the girls won't even remember her. She's been a huge part of Cedar's life, since we got her only 2 months before she was born. And the sweet kitten is only 3 years old.
The only ONLY silver lining I can find is that I got these 3 great years with her, and that I'm so grateful my other girls are so healthy and happy.
Say a prayer if you have it in you.

No comments: